Maneki Neko


I was digging around my stamps and found this one...decided to dust it off and use it! There is a ton of information about the Maneki Neko. Here is what I found on Wikipedia:

The Maneki Neko (literally "Beckoning Cat"; also known as Welcoming Cat, Lucky Cat, Money cat or Fortune Cat) is a common Japanese sculpture, often made of porcelain or ceramic, which is believed to bring good luck to the owner. The sculpture depicts a cat (traditionally a Japanese Bobtail) beckoning with an upright paw, and is usually displayed in stores, restaurants, pachinko parlors, and other businesses. A raised right paw supposedly attracts money, while a raised left paw attracts customers.

Stamps: Judikins
Paper: Fabriano
Ink: VersaFine Black Onyx

I wish everyone
Peace
Love
&
Joy
in
2008


Comments

Carla said…
This is an adorable stamp, and I love the background you gave. It's so interesting to learn about other cultures-I think that's one of the main reasons I love teaching literature so much. I can expose these Oklahoma Panhandle kids, many of whom have never been on an airplane or seen the ocean, to so many cultures and characters they may not otherwise ever have known about. My real hope is that some of them might actually explore the world some day.